Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) is a member of the national laboratory system supported by the U.S. Department of Energy through its Office of Science. It is managed by the University of California (UC) and is charged with conducting unclassified research across a wide range of scientific disciplines. Located on a 200-acre site in the hills above the UC Berkeley campus, Berkeley Lab employs approximately 4,200 scientists, engineers, support staff and students.
In June 2012 Chazey was invited by Lawrence Berkeley Lab (LBL) to provide an evaluation of opportunities for HR at LBL, including looking at the existing HR Service Center operations and also the opportunity to expand the scope for shared services at the Lab. The engagement included the following:
- Current state analysis
- Future state opportunity assessment
- Assessment of de-centralized HR services and functions and recommendation for which are viable candidates for centralization and migration to the HR Service Center and on what timeline
- Financial Business Case
- Recommendation for optimal organization structure at different points in time
- Needs Assessment (from LBL, HR and customer perspectives)
- Recommendations for approaches, resources, and strategies needed to support the future state service delivery model and also a 2 to 5 year roadmap.
We worked in a collaborative way over a period of 3 months, culminating in a detailed white paper which included analysis, commentary and recommendations, supported by a detailed business cases and various different options for consideration. The results were presented back to LBL through read-out sessions.